Chicken Stroganoff. Chicken Stroganoff is everything you know and love about Beef Stroganoff, made with chicken! Seared golden chicken smothered in a sour cream mushroom gravy. Homemade Chicken Stroganoff – this stuff is so delicious and is a recipe perfect for dinner any night.
This Chicken Stroganoff recipe is not just a pale cousin of Beef Stroganoff. I knew that a few more ingredients were needed to set off the delicate taste of chicken breasts and I think a splash. This Chicken Stroganoff has a thick and savory sauce with large chunks of seasoned chicken and tons of earthy mushroom slices. You can have Chicken Stroganoff using 16 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Stroganoff
- You need of chicken.
- It’s 2 lb of Chicken breast (I used bone in with skin, but you can use skinless, boneless chicken also).
- You need 1 can of Chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 of as needed Water.
- It’s 1 tsp of Each: basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- You need of mushroom gravy.
- You need 4 tbsp of Butter.
- You need 8 oz of Mushrooms, sliced.
- You need 3 tbsp of Flour.
- You need 1 tsp of Onion powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of Pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Parsley or chives.
- It’s 1 cup of Milk.
- It’s 1 of as needed Chicken broth, from the boiled chicken pot (1-2 cups).
- Prepare 1 can of Cream of mushroom soup, small can.
- It’s 1 cup of Sour cream.
We like to take our time with this Chicken Stroganoff recipe. An easy chicken stroganoff recipe that's on the table in less than half an hour. Serve with rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. Chicken Stroganoff from Delish.com is a beef-free take on the classic.
Chicken Stroganoff step by step
- In a tall sauce pot, combine chicken broth, spices, chicken, and enough water to just cover chicken pieces..
- Bring chicken to a boil, then reduce to medium low heat, cover and cook. 30 minutes for bone in chicken. 15 minutes for boneless..
- Remove chicken from broth. Let chicken cool. Return broth to stove and let boil over medium high heat to reduce liquid and concentrate flavors. Meanwhile, make the stroganoff gravy..
- For the gravy:.
- Melt butter in a large skillet..
- Add sliced mushrooms and spices. Stir and cook a few minutes..
- Add flour. Stir and cook a few minutes..
- Now add in the milk, whisking until smooth. Then add mushroom soup, and chicken broth (half cup at a time) continue whisking and adding chicken broth as needed for a nice gravy consistency to your liking..
- Reduce gravy to a simmer. Dice or shred cooked chicken meat and add to the gravy. Add sour cream. Heat until chicken is warmed through..
- Great served over: rice, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or buttermilk biscuits (the American bread kind)..
We recently discovered our love of the old-school classic beef stroganoff. It's creamy, hearty, and DELICIOUS over a bed of egg. Simple Chicken Stroganoff with onions and mushrooms — just like beef stroganoff, but with chicken instead! This stroganoff is creamy and flavorful without using any "cream of x" soups. This delicious Chicken Stroganoff is easy, quick and so yummy.