You can cook Hellfire Gumbo using 23 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Hellfire Gumbo
- It’s 1 of large yellow onion.
- You need 8 of garlic cloves.
- You need 1 of green bell pepper.
- Prepare 1 of Red bell pepper.
- Prepare 4 of chicken breasts (bone in skin on).
- Prepare 2 lb of Pork Andouille Sausages.
- It’s 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of Okra.
- Prepare 2 of Habanero peppers.
- Prepare 1 cup of flour.
- It’s 1 cup of bacon grease.
- Prepare 3 stalk of Celery.
- Prepare of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare of white pepper.
- Prepare of ground black pepper.
- Prepare of sea salt.
- You need of thyme.
- You need of parsley flakes.
- You need of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare of garlic powder.
- You need of gumbo filé.
- It’s 2 cup of rice.
- It’s 4 of bay leaf.
Hellfire Gumbo instructions
- In a large pot cover chicken breasts with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. For the last 10 minutes drop in the sausages, piercing them about 3 times in front and back with a knife before..
- Pierce the habanero peppers with a knife and put them in the pot. Leave in the pot during entire cooking time to flavor the Gumbo then remove before serving..
- Mince garlic and finely chop about 1/4 of the onion, set aside separately for the roux.
- Chop up the remaining onion,red and green bell peppers and celery and add to the pot..
- Remove chicken and sausage from pot and set aside.
- Add can of fire roasted tomatoes and all seasonings to taste, to the pot, except for the Gumbo Filé.
- In a large iron skillet, heat bacon grease on a medium to high flame, when grease is hot gradually stir in flour. This mix of grease and flour is the roux, and is a crucial part of the outcome of the Gumbo, try not to burn it. Keep stirring this mix for at least 10 minutes or until the roux starts to turn a light brown color, then add the onions, stir for another 5 minutes and add the garlic and continue to stir until the roux reaches a milk chocolatey color, also try not to let the garlic burn.
- Once the roux is a nice brown color with caramelized onions and garlic, transfer the roux from the skillet to the Gumbo pot and stir in..
- Chop Okra I to 1/2 inch pieces and add to the Gumbo.
- Take skin off the chicken and remove it from the bones and shred with your hands. Brown sausages on the skillet on high heat for about 6 minutes, chop into 1/2 inch slices and add to the Gumbo..
- Add Gumbo filé to taste, serve with rice and/or french bread and butter and enjoy. Garnish with habanero if you dare!.