Rubarb Sauce. Celebrate spring with the sweet-tart taste of rhubarb in Jackie Hutshing's simple sauce. This old-fashioned rhubarb sauce is wonderful when spread on toast or English muffins, but it's just as good drizzled on ice cream or yellow cake. It's always an easy way to use and freeze your rhubarb.
Rhubarb Sauce, Because You Don't Always Have Time for Pie. Easier than pie, faster than cake, rhubarb sauce is the best dessert you can make with those sweet-tart stalks. At its simplest, rhubarb sauce only needs three ingredients (rhubarb, a sweetener and water) and a pot in which to stew them altogether until the rhubarb loses its crispness and softens. You can have Rubarb Sauce using 4 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Rubarb Sauce
- It’s 4 cup of rhubarb.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of water.
- You need 1 of ground cinnamon if desired.
Barbecue sauce is hardly an expected place to find rhubarb, and that's part of Extra Rhubarb-BQ Sauce can be refrigerated for up to one month. Also try Rhubarb-BQ on pork and burgers. Rhubarb Sauce for Canning – Rhubarb barbeque (Rhubarb-BQ) sauce and Rhubarb-orange compote. Savory and sweet rhubarb sauce recipes.
Rubarb Sauce step by step
- In 2 quart saucepan, heart sugar and water to boiling, stir occasionally..
- Stir in rhubarb, reduce heat..
- Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender and slightly transparent..
- Stir in cinnamon. Serve sauce warm or chilled..
- Add sugar to taste. Serve as side to meats and poultry or served for desert by self or over pound cake or ice cream..
- Substitute 1 cup strawberries, cut in half, for 1 cup of the rhubarb. After simmering rhubarb, stir in strawberries; heat just to boil..
Rhubarb gives this barbecue sauce a wonderful tangy flavor. Rhubarb is most often used in dessert recipes such as pie and compote, but its tart taste is just as excellent in savory recipes like this. This early summer fruit provides a sweet sauce for ice cream. I love it on ice cream! This sauce can also be made into rhubarb Even though it's great as rhubarb sauce and jam, technically, rhubarb isn't a fruit.