Braised Chicken Kitchari.
You can cook Braised Chicken Kitchari using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Braised Chicken Kitchari
- You need 5 tbsp of Coconut Oil, divided.
- You need 1 of full Chicken Breast, bone-in with skin.
- It’s 3 c of Chicken Stock.
- You need 1/4 c of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- You need 2 tsp of Yellow Mustard Seeds.
- It’s 2 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- It’s 1 1/2 c of Dahl.
- You need 6 c of Water.
- It’s 1 of large Yellow Onion, diced small.
- It’s 1 c of Carrots, chopped.
- Prepare 1 c of Brown Basmati Rice.
- It’s 1 tbsp of grated Turmeric or 1tsp ground.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1/4 c of chopped fresh Cilantro.
Braised Chicken Kitchari instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large, heavy bottom sauté pan to high heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Sear chicken, skin side down, for about 5 minutes. Turn chicken and carefully add stock and vinegar. Cover pan and place in the oven for 30-35 minutes..
- In a second large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil to medium heat. Add mustard, cumin and fennel seeds and stir continuously until they begin to brown and pop. Add the dahl and water and bring pan to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover pot and simmer the mixture until the water is halfway gone, about 15 minutes..
- While the dahl cooks, in a third pan heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté the onion and carrots until they are tender, then add them to the pot of dahl along with the rice and turmeric. Stir to combine and continue to simmer until dahl and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper..
- Allow chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes and then slice into 1/2 inch pieces. To serve, portion dahl into bowls and top with chicken, garnish with cilantro..