Ruibarbillo or rhubarb cheese. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and blend just to combine. These bars combines the velvety richness of cheesecake with fresh tangy rhubarb for a delicious dessert that everyone will love. Beat cream cheese, white sugar, eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl.
Use seasonal rhubarb to make this for a G&T with a difference, or top the finished gin with soda water for a refreshing summertime drink in glorious pink. This isn't your typical rhubarb pie – it has a layer or rhubarb topped with a cream cheese layer, and is finished off with a vanilla sour cream topping. The fruity sourness of rhubarb goes brilliantly with a tangy goats' cheese in this simple, but stunning salad. You can cook Ruibarbillo or rhubarb cheese using 4 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ruibarbillo or rhubarb cheese
- It’s 1.2 kg of leftover rhubarb pulp from my rhubarb cordial recipe.
- Prepare of pith and pips leftovers of 4 lemons.
- You need 400 grams of pectin homemade or equivalent shop bought.
- You need 1.5 kg of granulated sugar.
Melt the butter in a frying pan then add the sugar. Place the rhubarb in the pan and cook quickly until just tender. Remove the rhubarb from the pan and set aside to cool. Rhubarb, which looks like crimson celery, has a short season so stock up while you can.
Ruibarbillo or rhubarb cheese step by step
- Put lemon pith and pips in a muslin cloth bag and place it in a big pan along with the rhubarb pulp and q bit of water.
- Stir until the rhubarb soft. This will help release some pectin of the lemon..
- Add some shop bought or home made pectin. A cheese should have a hard consistency but rhubarb doesn't contain much pectin.
- Remove lemon pith bag and blend for a smooth cheese. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Use low heat.
- Simmer until set. it's ready when you can form a channel along the bottom of the pan when you run the spoon along..
- Pot into warm sterilised jars and seal..
It freezes beautifully; just store the stalks in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. You can use fresh or frozen rhubarb for these custard bars. We actually preferred unthawed frozen rhubarb. Once I tried these rich, gooey bars, I just had to have the recipe so I could make them for my family and friends. For topping, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream.