Rhubarb Hibiscus Compote.
You can cook Rhubarb Hibiscus Compote using 3 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Rhubarb Hibiscus Compote
- Prepare 2 lb of rhubarb stalks.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar.
- Prepare 8 of dried hibiscus flowers.
Rhubarb Hibiscus Compote step by step
- Rinse the rhubarb stalks and trim off the very ends..
- Unless the stalks are very slender, cut them in half lengthwise..
- Cut on a diagonal into 3/4 inch chunks..
- You will have about 6 cups worth..
- Set aside 2 cups and put the remaining 4 cups into a medium heavy bottomed pot (with about a 5 quart capacity)..
- Add the brown sugar and hibiscus flowers to the pot, give the mixture a few stirs..
- Cover, and turn the heat to medium low, (it's important to begin slowly so the rhubarb warms up and begins to release its liquid.).
- Cook the rhubarb mixture for about 15 minutes, covered, until the mixture is saucy..
- Remove the cover and increase the heat to medium..
- Cook for 15 to 17 minutes, stirring constantly, until the rhubarb is completely broken down and thick enough that a spoon leaves a trail at the bottom of the pot..
- Add the remaining rhubarb chunks to the pot and stir to combine..
- Immediately pour the compote out onto a large plate or baking dish to cool..
- When the compote is cool, remove the hibiscus flowers, squeezing any juice from them into the compote, and discard..
- The compote will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 week..
- *This compote goes great in a rhubarb tart or is a delicious filling for fruit crisps and cobblers.*.
- **You can find hibiscus flowers in tea shops, and many grocery stores.**.
- ***You can also cook up just 4 cups of rhubarb and not add the final 2 cups towards the end like you normally would, and then use the compote over ice cream.***.